29/08/2012

Designer Babies?

To me, choosing the sex of your own baby is pretty alarming, frightening and frankly unethical. But I can't exactly tell you why I think this. As is the case in the UK, I can understand the legality in sex changing if the foetus appears to be suffering from a sex-specific disorder or genetic disease. But what I can't even begin to understand is parents apparently 'flocking' to America to engineer their babies' gender. It's not like I'm against sex-changes or transgender individuals in adulthood, but for me there's something wrong about changing the sex of a baby apart from in very exceptional, and life-threatening circumstances. Perhaps it seems an admission that the baby would have been loved more if science and nature happened to turn out one way rather than the other.
This should certainly spark some discussion. Let me know your thoughts, by commenting here or on facebook!
http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/gender-selection-ivf-treatment-uk-couples-sex-baby.html

No comments:

Post a Comment